Sunday, November 30, 2008

Craft Area

Yeah! I'm so excited that our playroom projects are finished!

(click here to see the post about the gutter bookshelves; eventually I'm going to put a gutter underneath the chalkboard to hold the eraser & chalk).

Here's the wall before & after:

(click on the pics to enlarge them)

Here's what I started with:

Letters: from Hobby Lobby (99 cents/letter)--painted red with borrowed paint

Clothesline: bought the clothesline at Lowes & tied it around screws that then were screwed into the wall. I put a yellow star (47 cents each) on top of each screw with hot glue. Also hot glued the little boys & girls(39 cents/applique) to regular clothespins (50 cents).

Magnetic Chalkboard: Primed & painted a 24 x 36 sheet of metal with chalkboard paint($10.98) and I cut, painted, glued, & caulked screen mold to make the frame for the chalkboard.

All in all, it was a fun project & I'm glad I did it. The clothesline & letters were easy and inexpensive. On the other hand, I will probably not make the chalkboard again. Here's why:

1. It took about a week to complete: one day for priming, four days for painting because the chalkboard paint has to dry for 24 hours pior to sanding & adding another coat (the directions say it works best if you have four coats), one day for gluing the frame on & caulking, and one day for touch up painting & hanging.
2. The screen mold was really difficult to cut exactly so it would frame nicely. I ended up needing Stacey's dad to help me with his heavy duty machine that cuts precise 45 degree angles. Thanks Papa J!
3. I'm assuming I could find a 24 x 36 magnetic chalkboard for less or slightly more than what I spent because I saw a chalkboard (not magnetic) on sale for $12 at hobby lobby. My cost was only $25.84: sheet metal($7.08), Screen mold($3.30),Primer(4.48), and chalkboard paint ($10.98). I had borrowed the gorilla glue, caulk & red paint, and I already had the screws.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Wow, Haley...that turned out so awesome! I love it! And I see that Charly is already enjoying her new and improved craft area. What fun!

Way to go, you crafty momma. What's next?