Thursday, September 24, 2009

Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult

Just finished my first Jodi Picoult book. So I thought I'd give a review (as requested by Natalie Fournet).

Good read, yet hard on the emotions at times. It took me a little bit to get into it most likely due to the short increments of time I had to read (5 min. here, 5 minutes there). But shortly I began to get involved in the characters, and towards the end, I was having a hard time putting it down.

The characters are very interesting and well developed. The overall theme I kept coming across was the following: what you believe about yourself will dictate your actions. This I believe to be true. And putting it into a Biblical perspective (this is not what was done in the book): if we see ourselves the way God sees us, our actions will convey His view. We will be humbled and become loving, forgiving, and full of grace to others and ourselves. If we see our failures in the light of our culture and world view, we will believe them and stay trapped in that way of thinking, and therefore, perpetuate our weaknesses rather than grow stronger in God's strength.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me whne you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity."
(Jeremiah 29:11-14a; NIV; emphasis mine)

Just began "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier for book club. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Amber, Brian, and Bryson said...

Love the review. I am in a book club with school so I love hearing what other people are reading so we have ideas. Keep them coming. We are reading The Help right now. It is good too!

Natalie Fournet said...

OK I think I am almost ready to start reading again....aka....ready to stay awake past 7:30!!! I will check this one out:)